The last day to register to vote OR make changes to your current voter registration is Tuesday, May 8th, 2018. New Mexico holds a closed Primary which means you MUST be registered with a Major party to vote in the Primary election. The major parties are: Republican, Democrat, & Libertarian. You will receive a ballot with ONLY the candidates’ names that are running in with the party you are registered in. IF you want to vote for a certain race make sure you are registered with the correct party!!
Inquiring to the status of your voter registration in Chaves County is as easy as calling your County Clerk at (575) 624-6614.
-OR- Visit the New Mexico Secretary of State's Voter View at https://voterview.state.nm.us. What information can you find in Voterview?
- Registrant details - voting status, address, party affiliation, precinct, polling location
- Voting Districts
- Your personal election Voting History
You May Register To Vote If You Are:
- A resident of New Mexico
- A citizen of the United States
- Eighteen years old or older at the time of the next election
- Not legally declared mentally incapacitated
- Not a convicted felon, or a felon who has completed all of the terms and conditions of sentencing
Where to Register
- Chaves County Clerk's Office Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm
- Secretary of State's Office
- Any County Clerk's Office in New Mexico
- Through a Third Party Registrant Agent
- Motor Vehicle Department, Human Services Department, Public Libraries, Colleges, Universities, and at organized voter registration drives
- ONLINE at http://sos.state.nm.us
You may request an application for voter registration be mailed to you by calling (575) 624-6614
How To Register
- You must completely fill out an application for voter registration and sign it.
- Be sure to: Answer all questions, including the citizenship and age questions.
- A Social Security Number and physical address where you live are required in order to register to vote in New Mexico. (A PO Box may be used for a mailing address).
First Time Registrants
If you are registering for the first time in New Mexico, and you submit the registration form by mail, you must also submit a copy of
- A current and valid photo identification; or
- A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, student identification card or other government document, including identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo that shows your name and current address.
*If you do not submit one of these forms of identification with your mailed-in, first time registration, you will be required to present one of the forms of identification when voting in person or absentee.
Reasons Why A Voter Registration Application Could Be Rejected
- Social Security Number is not provided.
- The application is not signed.
- The citizenship and age boxes are not checked.
- A physical address or description of residence, such as a map or the;
- Latitude/Longitude is not provided.
Rejected applications are returned to the applicant with a letter of rejection, explanation, and a blank application for voter registration.
When To Register
Voter registration applications can be submitted at any time. The Voter registration books close 28 days BEFORE an election. Be sure to get your application submitted in a timely manner so you don't miss out on voting!!
Update My Voter Registration
Voters can update their registration information in the following ways:
Visiting the Chaves County Clerk's Office Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at
#1 St. Mary's Place, Roswell, NM
Through the Secretary of State's Office;
Through County Clerks' Offices statewide;
Through a third-party registrant agent;
As a state Motor Vehicle Department office, Human Services Department office, public libraries, colleges, universities, and at organized voter registration drives.
You may also also request an application for voter registration be mailed to you be calling
Choosing A Political Party
Qualified Political Parties in New Mexico
- Major Parties
- New Mexico Democratic Party
- New Mexico Republican Party
- Libertarian Party of New Mexico
- Green Party of New Mexico
- Better for America Party of New Mexico
New Mexico is a closed Primary state. Registering to vote for a party other than a Major Party or Declining to State a party disqualifies you from voting in a Primary election.