Sierra Volunteer Fire Department

About the Department
The Sierra Volunteer Fire Department was formed in April 1975. The department’s first Fire Chief was Jimmy Collins. Serving under Chief Collins were 6 seasoned firefighters and 5 junior firefighters. Their first station was a rented 1-vehicle garage and it housed a 1942 International 4×4 fire truck, which had a top speed of 25 miles per hour. Later that year, they were given a 1959 GMC with a front mount pump.

In 1976, the department bought a piece of land on South Brown Road, and then donated the land to the County. Chaves County bought and placed a 3 bay fire station on the land. Once it was placed, the Fire Department supplied all plumbing and the building interior. In 1981, Sierra acquired land on South Lea Street and built a 2 bay sub-station. In 2008, the department constructed their 3rd Main Station on Dogwood Road for a total of 3 Main Stations.

The department has 32 members.

Fire Apparatus

Apparatus
Vehicle Description
Pumper 1
2009 Freightliner with a 1,250 GPM pump and a 1,500-gallon tank
Pumper 2
1994 Freightliner with a 1,250 GPM pump and a 1,000-gallon tank
Pumper 3
1989 Pierce with a 1,000 GPM pump and a 500-gallon tank
Tanker 1
2011 Kenworth with a 1,250 GPM pump and a 3,000-gallon tank
Tanker 2
1973 LaFrance with a 50 GPM pump and a 1,600-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 1
2005 Ford F550 with a 250 GPM pump and a 500-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 2
2003 Ford F550 with a 250 GPM pump and a 500-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 3
1998 International Heavy Brush with a 50 GPM pump and a 865-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 4
1995 Chevrolet with a 50 GPM pump and a 250-gallon tank
Rescue Unit
1996 International
Command Unit
2010 Chevrolet Tahoe
Supply Truck
1995 Chevrolet
ISO Rating & Funding
The department has a split ISO rating of 7/9 and will receive $166,503 for their base FY2013 Fire Fund Act Allocation.