East Grand Plains Volunteer Fire Department

About the Department
The East Grand Plains Volunteer Fire Department started out as Boy Scout Troop 36 in 1938. The Scouts rigged a small pump onto a 2-wheeled trailer, which was pulled behind a pickup. In 1947, a surplus Dodge power wagon was obtained and a station was built on donated land. The building was paid for with a voluntary 10 cents per acre assessment from area farmers and with BBQ fundraisers.

In 1951, 2 of the department members, Ellis Whitney and Morgan Nelson, wrote and successfully lobbied for legislation that created the State Fire Fund. That year, the department was recognized by the Chaves County Commission. By 1961, the acreage assessment had increased to 25 cents and the department was able to buy its first assembled and equipped fire truck. With the addition of more equipment and apparatus, the department built a new station in 1983. In 2005, the department completed the construction of their second Main Station. This station has 4 bays, a training facility, and a kitchen.

This department has 22 members.

Fire Apparatus

Apparatus
Vehicle Description
Ladder Truck
2007 Smeal 105-Foot Ladder Truck with a 1,250 GPM pump and a 500-gallon tank
Pumper 1
2008 Freightliner with a 1,250 GPM pump and a 1,500-gallon tank
Pumper 2
2001 Freightliner with a 1,250 GPM pump and a 1,500-gallon tank
Tanker 1
2012 Smeal with a 1,250 GPM pump and a 3,000-gallon tank
Tanker 2
1992 International with a 500 GPM pump and a 3,000-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 1
2010 Ford F550 with a 250 GPM pump and a 500-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 2
2006 Ford F550 with a 250 GPM pump and a 500-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 3
2000 Ford F550 with a 120 GPM pump and a 500-gallon tank
Urban-Interface Attack Vehicle 4
1980 International with a 500 GPM pump and a 1,000-gallon tank
Off-Road 4-Wheeler
2009 Kawasaki Mule for off-road rescue services
Command Unit
2005 Ford Excursion
Enclosed Rescue Trailer
2008 Haulmark Trailer
ISO Rating & Funding
The department has a split ISO rating of 6/8B and will receive $117,168 for their base FY2013 Fire Fund Act Allocation.