Recording & Filing Requirements
Requirements for filing instruments are that the document is:
- an original,
- notarized with proper acknowledgment and
- that it contains a legal description or in the case of releases and assignments, a Book and Page reference.
We do not have margin requirements but if the document is over 15” we will charge an additional page fee for having to include the filing information on another page. If the document is being mailed back, we will need a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Marriage Licenses Requirements
Requirements for obtaining a marriage license are:
- Bride & Groom must be present,
- Have a valid picture ID, such as a driver’s license or state issued ID card. In cases where there is not a license, a birth certificate will have to be presented,
- If the applicants are under the age of 18 (but over the age of 16), the custodial parent must be present in order to sign
- Marriage License Application fee is $25.00. We only accept cash, Mastercard, or Visa for marriage licenses.
- Certified copies of Marriage Licenses are $2.50
- Duplicate Marriage Certificates can be issued for $5.00
Requirements for filing a probate:
- Application for Informal Probate, Original Death Certificate and Last Will & Testament , if decedent had one,
- Decedent’s death must not have occurred less than 120 hours and no more than 3 years from the time of filing.
- Probate Packets (with or without will) are $5.00
- Initial filing of probate is $30.00
- Copies are 15 cents per page. Certifications are 50 cents per document.
- Clerk’s Certificates are $1.50
- Exemplification Certificates $1.50
Bureau of Elections
Requirements for voter registration in Chaves County
Requirements to register to vote are:
- Must be United States Citizen,
- Must be the age of 18 on or before the next election,
- Must provide a physical address.