Recording & Filing Requirements
Requirements for filing instruments are that the document is:
- an original,
- notarized with proper acknowledgment and
- that it contains a legal description or in the case of releases and assignments, a Book and Page reference.
We do not have margin requirements but if the document is over 15” we will charge an additional page fee for having to include the filing information on another page. If the document is being mailed back, we will need a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Marriage Licenses Requirements
FOR ALL APPLICANTS: The following is required at the time a couple applies for a marriage license:
- Twenty-five dollars ($25.00) cash, MasterCard, Visa or Discover.
- Proof of age and identity required. Proof of age and identity is normally satisfied with a government-issued photo ID.
- If a government issued photo ID is not available, an original or certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented.
Both applicants must appear in person. If an applicant is unable to appear in person, authorization to issue the marriage license must be provided by a District Judge. Marriage licenses must be purchased at any time before the ceremony. The license is valid for a ceremony taking place anywhere within the State of New Mexico. The signed license must be returned to the County Clerk’s Office within ninety (90) days of the ceremony.
FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE 16 OR 17 YEARS OLD:
In addition to the abolve, you must have:
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate.
- Written consent of each living parent listed on the birth certificate.If a government issued photo ID is not available, an original or certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented.
Written consent may be provided in person at the Clerk's Office or through a notarized statement. If a parent is deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate is required. If a parent is not deceased and is unable or unwilling to provide written consent, authorization to issue the marriage license must be provided by a District Judge.
FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE:
Marriages of persons under 16 years of age are only permitted when there is a pregnancy and when a District Court Judge has authorized the marriage.
- Marriage License Application fee is $25.00. We only accept cash, Mastercard, or Visa for marriage licenses.
- Certified copies of Marriage Licenses are $2.50
- Duplicate Marriage Certificates can be issued for $5.00
Requirements for filing a probate:
- Application for Informal Probate, Original Death Certificate and Last Will & Testament , if decedent had one,
- Decedent’s death must not have occurred less than 120 hours and no more than 3 years from the time of filing.
- Probate Packets (with or without will) are $5.00
- Initial filing of probate is $30.00
- Copies are 15 cents per page. Certifications are 50 cents per document.
- Clerk’s Certificates are $1.50
- Exemplification Certificates $1.50
Bureau of Elections
Requirements for voter registration in Chaves County
Requirements to register to vote are:
- Must be United States Citizen,
- Must be the age of 18 on or before the next election,
- Must provide a physical address.